A hashtag is when the symbol ‘#’ is used before a word published on a variety of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google+ to categorise posts. Hashtags are clickable, searchable and measurable and are an integral and strategic way to communicate online. Clicking on a hashtag will direct users to another timeline full of other user’s posts using the same hashtag. Read on to discover how hashtags can benefit your business and make your social media marketing campaign a success.
- Using hashtags will create a specific topic of conversation and are useful for defining content. A user can either search the exact hashtag or click on the hashtag in their newsfeed to see all relating posts. Remember to keep your hashtags simple, relevant to your post and not use too many at once to avoid being considered as spam.
- Using hashtags will increase your social reach and ensure more people can find your business. They allow you to become part of a larger conversation with a larger audience and reach out to viewers that are not yet following your business profile.
- If you are running a social media campaign, using a specific hashtag relating to your campaign will increase brand awareness and boost searches. Ensure that you include your own business name in your campaign hashtag to further promote your campaign and associate it with your business. Creating a hashtag with this purpose lets you track the success of the campaign across multiple social media platforms.
- Hashtags allow you to build a relationship with your customers as it is an opportunity to connect with your followers and encourage interaction. Using hashtags allows you to target specific audiences with a similar interest to your business industry. This will also help to build a sense of community around your business
- Participate in discussions involving popular hashtags relating to your industry to gain visibility and expand your audience. By using ‘trending’ hashtags that are frequently searched, you can greatly increase the chance of your content being seen and shared.
Developing a hashtag strategy is an important part of a successful social media marketing campaign. Many businesses can benefit from using hashtags as they can help expand your reach and target specific audiences.
If your business needs assistance in creating or maintaining a social media marketing campaign or incorporating social media into your marketing mix, give Clarity Marketing and Communication a call on 1300 060 204 or submit an online enquiry.